This photo was taken just before my 21st birthday last year, though it's hard to believe it was just one year ago. Year 21 was perhaps one of the most dynamic of any preceding it. I traveled and lived around the world, finished college, and started my post-graduate career.
As I'm writing this on the start of my 22nd year, I've spent the day going through my gym-coffee-work routine (#adultlife). Needless to say I've transitioned into a completely new chapter of my life that both scares and excites me. I've been shaped largely by the events since my last birthday, and despite some challenges I am grateful for each one. Now on my first day of being age 22, I'm sharing 21 things I've learned since this day in 2015. Here's to being another year older!
1. Support is everything. Embrace it, and give it back.
2. Travel often, even if that means to an unfamiliar part of your neighborhood. It will change your perspective in ways you cannot imagine.
3. Walking away doesn't always mean giving up. Sometimes its the best decision despite how difficult it may seem.
4. Family is everything, but I didn't need just my 21st year to know that.
5. True friends will make time for you, but make sure you are doing the same for them.
6. Meet as many people as you can. Your network makes you stronger.
7. Make the most of every opportunity. It may not be what you had wanted, but it will be as helpful as you allow it to be.
8. Start being aware of your eating habits. Your 21-year-old body will expand.
9. Exercise. See #8.
10. Mistakes are inevitable. Dwell minimally, learn infinitely.
11. People will walk out of your life as quickly as they walked in. Let them.
12. Always remember your personal brand. How will you stand out amongst the rest?
13. You define your own success.
14. Consistently do things that scare you. You will grow from them.
15. Be proud of what you have accomplished, and continue striving for more.
16. Sometimes you just need to spend an entire day at home in your pajamas. Don't feel guilty about it, especially after watching your friends' Snapchat stories.
17. Read for fun. You probably haven't since high school.
18. This is your time to be selfish. Make decisions accordingly.
19. Social media is awesome, but it isn't everything.
20. Ask for help. You certainly don't know everything at this age, and no one expects you to. Take advantage of it.
21. Be present, and have fun. Life is meant to be enjoyed.